Monday 13 December 2010

My Gap Cowl...

Gap have this cowl that my boyfriend was nice enough to buy me for Christmas! (woot, go boyfriend!)

Before I got this from him I started to make my own. I have changed it from the Gap one, which loops twice around your neck, to one that is just a straight forward cowl which will fit nicely under a jacket. I attempted this many times, at all different widths and settled on 29 stitches amounting to exactly a foot in this yarn/wool.



I cast on the 29, and knit the whole first row and then began the moss stitch for the second row and continued in it. I then knit it for 2 feet, 5 inches. I ensured I did another knit row before binding off to ensure I had a nice crisp finish once sewing the two ends together.



Sew together, pull over head and wear away! :)


Me in my own creation!


Pattern: 

Using Super Chunky wool and 9mm needles cast on your desired number of stitches, making them an odd number. (Mine was 29 stitches) 

Row 1: Knit all stitches (this will be your seam row when you are done, so it is easier if it is all knit stitches) 
Row 2: K1, P1 and repeat to the end. You should finish on a knit stitch if you do in fact have an odd number of stitches. 
Row 3: K1, P1 and repeat to end. Again, finishing on the knit stitch. 

Repeat Rows 2&3 until you have your desired length. 

Final row: cast off. 

Seam and enjoy! 

5 comments:

  1. I really love this pretty cowl. It looks like it would be fun to knit. The only thing is that I don't have any Chunky but do have 4 balls
    of Bernat Alpaca Bulky (Category 5) which will be 100 grams x 4- I am wondering if that might work.Think I will need to cast on more stitches to compensate .
    And also since I am a Tight Knitter will probably need to use a larger needle..

    Thanks so much for sharing this with us..

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many stitches would I need if I wish to do your Gap Cowl longer - as I would like to wrap it around TWICE...

    I wear a Cervical Collar and I want to cover it up as people tend to ask questions or sit and stare at me. Having worn these types of support collars since I was 17 after being a major car accident and then another accident while travelling in Europe when I was 38 - it is simply necessary and part of my accessories.

    Thanks again. Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey!

    I'm not sure how many stitches but if you look at the ball band it should give you an idea how wide you want to make it! I know if you want to cover up a support collar or brace you might want to make a tight fabric that would stand up on it's own, or a bit looser stitch and make it longer to be able to wrap it twice around your neck.

    The one from Gap is about 6 feet in total length I think and it wraps loosely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a knitting newby; what size needle?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kim,

    For this one I used Super Chunky wool and 9mm needles. If you have wool you've already bought that you want to use I can help you pick needle size and how many stitches you will need across if you want. Also, if you're on Ravelry you can find me under Sheenabeana. :)

    ReplyDelete